Saturday, 30 September 2017

Travel review: Edinburgh


One of my favourite things about being a lifestyle blogger is the versatility we get in our posts. I've never really talked about travelling or reviewing new places on the blog before, so it's great that I can dip my toes in as and when it's appropriate. Let's be honest what better way to kick off this type of post than with one of a beautiful city such as Edinburgh?


I recently spent a weekend in the historic Scottish city with two close friends. It's only the second time I've been but the first was only a few hours. While I did enjoy that visit, it wasn't until the recent one that I really got the feel of the city.


The city is a contrast of old beautiful brick architecture with more modern pieces. The first day there was spent exploring around the Royal Mile, the castle and the main shops on Princes Street. The area is steeped with history and quirky, old buildings that make for very pleasant walking. As well as this you can see plenty of tourist aimed shops and attractions.


We only had two nights in Edinburgh, but both were spent sampling the nightlife. Not necessarily the cheapest night out, we experienced a good mix of bats, clubs and pubs. My favourite has to be a Wetherspoons I went to. Yep, a Wetherspoons! 

It's called The Caley Picture House and is in fact an old picture house turned pub. The decor was amazing with lots of nods to the original use of the building.


Finally, the last thing I'd recommend to anyone visiting the city would be try walking Arthur's Seat. It a large hill pretty much in the middle of the city. Part of the dormant volcano system that makes up the surrounding area, the views are spectacular. You can even see well out to sea and the nearish tor of Berwick.


If you do decide to go up Arthur's Seat, then be more prepared than me who did it in a skirt and boots(nope not walking ones..) and ended up with very sore blistered feet. Manageable but would be a lot nicer in anything slightly more appropriate! 


Edinburgh is a city that really caught me, to the point that I'm already scouting Air BnB for some good deals...

Have you ever been to Edinburgh?

Abi x