Saturday, 13 May 2017

I don't need your validation

In my head that's said to the intro of Rolling Stones Satisfaction... It seems a dramatic title but actually it's meant as a gentle nudge of education.
I consider myself quite a confident person, I'm mostly quite comfortable in my own skin. To me, a lot of that comes from the fact that I don't use others opinions of me to validate my own. 
Deep, I know. It's something that is easier to say than do. It's something that's taken me a few years to really accept about myself. In fact I used to think I was a bit weird growing up because I didn't seem to want the same stuff other girls at school wanted. 
 
From 14+ I stopped paying attention to what the popular kids were doing because it was never things I could see myself doing. I would spend every minute available reading, to the extent that I'd read whilst walking between classes(yes, I did fall over a few times) because that's what I enjoyed doing. 

I was lucky in that I had a small core group of friends(you know who you are) who understood that that's what I'd do every lunch and break. People that knew I would crack sarcastic  comments and slightly inappropriate remarks at every opportunity. I didn't need the validation of the people around me to be myself. Instead of made friends with people who would accept me as I wanted to be. To me, that meant that the only person who's opinion I would be bothered by was my own.

What I'm saying is, at the end of the day, surround yourself with people who make you relaxed. If you catch yourself acting other than you would naturally  ask yourself why is that? Why don't you feel you comfortable being yourself around them? 

I guess what this rambles mess is trying to say is that we don't need others validation. It's such a bloody simple thing but it can take years to actually live it.

Abi x